10 Ways to Boost Gift Certificate Sales
Yesterday, I sold a package of 8 mini-massages to a bride-to-be for her bridesmaids and groomsmen. When the recipients call to book their 30-minute massage appointments, I will offer them an upgrade to 60 or 90 minutes for an additional fee – a value-added service for them and more income for me!
And today a new client came in for her first massage and she walked out with 3 Fathers Day gift certificates in her purse – for her husband, her father and her father-in-law! She said the promo sign by the toilet convinced her!
Gift certificate sales are a major source of income in my massage therapy practice. Almost every day, a client buys a gift certificate for a special occasion, or mini-massage gift coupon packages to keep on hand for last-minute gifts or times when they need to give presents to many people for one holiday.
If you’re not currently selling gift certificates, consider adding this income-generator to your offerings. If you do offer them – but don’t sell as many as you’d like – try these10 ideas to boost your sales!
1. Promote gift certificates for holidays. The month of June, Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Mothers Day are the 3 biggest holidays for gift certificate sales. Plan promotions for each holiday and start your campaign 4-6 weeks before the date.
2. Make gift certificates visible. Create a display in your reception area, ideally where clients can see it when they check in and again when they pay for their appointment. Have a sign saying something like: “A Gift of Health for Someone Special!”
3. Display signs to promote your gift certificates. An ideal place to post a sign is on the back of the treatment room door, so clients see it as they leave the room and head to the desk to pay their bill. Make sure you have attractive signs visibly posted throughout your office. Another good display area is the restroom – in clear view of the toilet!
4. Talk to clients in person. When people come in for appointments near holidays, remind them that you sell gift certificates. There’s no need for pushy sales. Simply remind them that gift certificates are available for last minute gifts.
5. Send out reminders. Mail postcards or send email to remind clients that gift certificate make great last-minute gifts because they are easy to buy and they are appropriate for all sizes, all ages and all occasions. Offer to postal mail or email the gift certificate to the recipient.
6. Offer an incentive. For more sales, make sure there’s something in it for the buyer! If the buyer is a client, give them a value-added service at their next appointment – something that does not increase your time or cost, such as integrating hot stones into a massage, a special recipe with nutrition counseling or a customized asana series for a yoga student.
7. Send a letter. Be sure to contact inactive as well as active clients. Emphasize how easy it is to shop for everyone on their gift list for many occasions. Offer to sell by phone or on your website, making sure you’re prepared to accept credit card payments.
8. Offer shorter time frames. Instead of selling gift certificates for one-hour appointments, sell just half-hour times. If your service or product is not time-based, consider a smaller offering that still provides value. With a lower cost per unit, people are likely to purchase more, which will increase your overall sales.
9. Offer to upgrade. When the gift certificate recipient calls to schedule their appointment, offer to add additional time or service for an additional fee. For example, a 30-minute treatment could be upgraded to 60 minutes, or acupuncture could include moxa. They see it as getting a bargain, such as a 60-minute massage for the cost of 30 minutes. Again, if your business is not time-based like massage, think of a low-cost, high-value upgrade that you can offer.
10. Sell only high-quality gift certificates. Use full-color professional printing on large cards with envelopes, to increase the gift certificate’s perceived value.
If you don’t sell gift certificates, consider adding this income-booster to your services. If you don’t sell as many as you’d like – try these10 ideas to boost your sales! Share your favorites and results in the Comments below!