Avoid Summer Slowdown Syndrome in Your Wellness Biz!
Summer – as the temperature goes up, your practice can go down – before you realize it’s happening! So you need to get crackin’ now to prevent Summer Slowdown Syndrome! It’s mid-May and not a moment too soon to start your summer marketing campaign!
What causes Summer Slowdown Syndrome? Clients – even the ideal ones – tend to disappear from your wellness practice over the summer. Schedules change, people travel, kids are out of school, summer guests visit. Your practice can get off track with fewer clients, causing a big dip in your income. Then you’re faced with a challenging recovery to get back in gear for Fall.
Or… you can plan ahead for a sizzling hot summer business and a smooth transition into a busy, productive Fall!
Preparation is the key to avoiding Summer Slowdown in your wellness practice. Plan and prepare now, in the last few weeks before summer. Don’t wait until business slows down – that’s like fixing the roof when it’s raining!
Here are 10 strategies to help your wellness practice survive Summer Slowdown Syndrome:
1. Target a Sub-Niche! While many people travel during the summer, others opt for a “staycation.” Offer a summer special to those who stay home. More summer target groups: Teachers and school personnel; children & teens; summer tourists; summer athletes; house guests of your friends and clients!
2. Offer Packages and Programs! Enroll clients in prepaid, pre-scheduled treatment series, starting now with a ‘drip campaign’. When set up properly, packages minimize summer drop-outs, making your schedule and your income more predictable.
3. Make an Offer They Can’t Refuse! Offer an irresistibly good deal on your Summer Vacation Package – a series of treatments focusing on a specific condition, problem or issue, with special summer pricing. Emphasize the benefits of staying on-track with regular health care over the summer. Example: Summer Skin Care Series, Athlete’s Advantage Package.
Please share your client-attractive Summer Vacation Package in the Comments below!
4. Host a Class, Workshop or Event! You can make more money per hour with groups than with individual sessions, while clients save on the cost of private lessons. Teach basic techniques, for example “Simple Summer Self-Care” or “Fun Foods for Families.”
5. Market to Summer Visitors – If you live in a place with summer tourism, target this market. Also let clients know about your Summer Guest Special for their visiting family and friends. Sell a package of mini-massages that an entire family could share, for example, or a spa service could offer a Summer Skin Care Special. My Golfer’s Advantage is popular with tourists year-round at the luxury resorts near my home. Place an ad in a tourist publication or local newspaper. Contact hotels, inns, resorts, vacation rental managers and B&Bs; explain your services, give them business cards and referral vouchers; and ask for their referrals. Go public in a big way with your marketing.
6. Join Summer Fun and Games! Volunteer with summer sports teams – your kids’, your own or community teams! It’s a golden opportunity to market your practice to teammates, coaches and parents!
7. Start a Worksite Employee Health Program! Contact a local business about offering their employees a brief introductory consult or treatment at their work location. This strategy magnetically draws Ideal Clients into your office!
Which of these sizzling hot summer strategies appeals to you the most? Please share your inspirations in the Comments below!
Uh-oh! What if you get a late start with summer planning and your business drops off?
First of all, go to your calendar for next spring and schedule some consistent time for summer marketing, so you don’t get left behind again next year! Go on – do it now – schedule next year’s summer marketing! And then come back here for the last three of our 10 strategies for summer success!
Here’s how to use the extra time created by Summer Slowdown to your most profitable advantage!
8. Tackle a Big Project! Take advantage of reduced client time to do something that you’ve been putting off –a website, continuing education, order new products, write articles, teach a workshop. Be sure to mention your project in your ezine. (What – no ezine?! Start one during summer slowdown!)
9. Take a Vacation! Recharge yourself with some TLC for the upcoming busy Fall and Winter seasons. Go on a trip, or simply relax at home. Hang out with family and friends. Play tourist in your local area. Get some good self-care – bodywork, exercise, rest, fresh summer produce (peaches & cherries coming soon!).
10. Prepare Your Fall Launch! Spend 30-60 minutes each day during the summer to plan and promote Fall programs such as: Back-to-School Specials for teachers, staff, coaches, students, pediatricians and parents; Athlete’s Advantage for real and armchair athletes during football/soccer/cross-country season; healthy Trick-or-Treat Bags for clients and prospects; a Winter Holiday Party! Plan and prepare!
Preparation is the key to avoiding Summer Slowdown Syndrome! Clients – even ideal ones – can tend to disappear from your practice over the summer. Don’t let that cause a big drop in your income! Plan and prepare now, in the last few weeks before summer, with these 10 strategies to create sizzling hot summer success!