Back-to-School Marketing Part 2/2
Whatever your holistic health modality, your Back to School Special can customize your fall marketing to administrators, teachers, staff, coaches and even parents. It’s a great way to support the health of these valuable members of the community who are crucial to our children’s future! It’s actually a huge target market – every town has schools!
What to Offer
– Voucher Coupon. Use a coupon or voucher to draw people into your practice with a Back-to-School Special offer. The wording on your materials should be targeted to the specific needs of teachers, coaches or whatever group you’re marketing to. An optional nice touch is to add a small low-cost healthy gift, such as a teabag, product sample, granola bar or… an apple for the teacher!
– Teachers have stress, physical complaints (computer, standing all day); a coupon/voucher for your service; a small low-cost gift such as a product sample, tea bag, or something else relevant to your modality. Do not call your offer a discount; it’s a special fee, one-time offer, introductory special etc. Contact school personnel in advance and arrange to deliver your materials to be placed into teachers’ mailboxes during the first week of school.
– School counselors are a perfect back-to-school target for any health professional who deals with behavior, such as a psychologist or clinical social worker.
– After-school programs are eager for new activities for their students. This could be an ideal setting to offer small workshops at which each participant – teachers and students – get your Back-to-School Special coupons. You may get paid little or nothing for the workshop – think of this marketing opportunity as an investment that will pay dividends later! Stick around for parents to pick up their kids and you may also pick up a few of them as clients as well!
– Workshops in your modality can be offered to classrooms, teams, community centers, families, after-school programs and more! Examples: a nutritionist could teach students and/or families to make easy healthy snacks; a psychologist could teach positive mindset to students; a massage therapist could offer a foot massage lesson and have students make their own foot reflexology socks. Because many schools have a limited budget for outside programs, this is more successful in attracting clients if you give a free workshop, letting your expertise and your coupons bring in clients and income, rather than counting on it as a primary income source. What workshop could you teach to help draw clients into your holistic health practice?
School sports programs are a big part of the fall season and the school year – and now you can be part of it too!
– Coaches love my Autumn Athlete Special that I offer every year to the two private high schools in my town. Connect with them, offer to meet with them and share the benefits of your work for their athletes. Examples: bodywork for muscle strain, fatigue and injury; nutrition for better sports performance; counseling for a winning attitude. Your brochure, flyer or rack card should list the benefits of your work for conditioning, injuries, nutrition, sports mindset, etc. Many health modalities have something to benefit athletes. What’s yours? Gift ideas to attach to your coupons for coaches and athletes are: Pain relief gel sample; granola bars; ice or heat packs.
– Community-based teams. Many towns have fall sports leagues such as soccer, rugby and football. If you or someone you know is on such a team, it’s a great place to start offering your Autumn Athlete Special! Ask for networking referrals to community coaches and program directors, most of whom are volunteer parents – another target market! You could also consider becoming a coach, which will further boost the trust factor between you and your local sports community. Sponsor a team to get your name on their uniforms and printed materials.
– Offer your services on the sidelines for bumps, bruises, fatigue and mild muscle strain, if you do bodywork. Give each coach and athlete a voucher coupon and invite them to your office for injury treatment. Emphasize the value of your work for sports conditioning, injury prevention, performance – whatever match you can find between your modality and the sport. Parents of athletes can be another source of clients for you and on the sports field is where to meet them! Seeing you in action will spark their interest and inspire their trust faster than words on a brochure!
Who to Contact
– Dept. of Education – In most areas, you probably have to go through channels to work within the public school system. So start early to establish these contacts, talk to key personnel and schedule meetings to offer your program. Bureaucratic wheels tend to turn slowly, which can make this a challenging part of the process, but your hard work and persistence will pay off in the long run, because you will be able to return to the same schools every year – once you invest your time now to set up this repeatable system and to establish a relationship with key personnel. Brownie Points: Be sure and give some of your BTSS Coupons to your DOE contact person!
– Public schools in some areas, particularly small towns, are more casual and you can contact the school administrators directly, bypassing the DOE. It is helpful to know someone who works there or get a referral from someone you know – your child’s teacher, for instance.
– Private schools often have more flexibility and less red tape than public schools, so they may be more receptive to your program. Call the administrative office and ask who you need to contact to make your offer or consult their website for contact info.
– Pediatricians perform required school physical exams during the summer, prior to each school year. So this should be the first group you target in your Back-to-School Special marketing campaign. Call the doctors and ask to meet with them, to explain the benefits of your modality for their patients. Bring to the meeting your Back-to-School Referral Kit, containing your brochures, biz cards and rack cards, and coupons for your service attached to a small gift. You can also include dentists in this marketing target.
– Local school boards and private school board of directors often welcome concerned and committed community members into their groups. Getting involved and serving your community as a member of an educational group will give you more exposure and help people know-like-trust you. Such a position provides a networking opportunity that can lead to many on-going referrals – long after the school year is underway.
– School and community-based sports programs are an ideal niche for health entrepreneurs, particularly those who do bodywork. Contact coaches to offer your Back-to-School Special.
– After-school programs can benefit from your services and offer you a great networking opportunity. These programs can also be a good place to showcase your expertise by offering free workshops. A couple favorite workshops of kids I’ve worked with as a massage therapist are “Blood & Guts” and Foot Reflexology Socks!” Get creative and have fun with it! Brownie Points: Stick around until parents come to pick up their kids so you can meet them, get them interested in what you do and answer any questions they have.
With summer ending and the school year starting, it’s the perfect time to target schools – teachers, staff, students and sports teams. You can draw them into your health practice with your very own Back-to-School Special! Not only will it boost your practice over the next few weeks, you will most likely get some long-term clients from it as well!
Bonus Marketing Tip: Give each person 2 coupons – one to use and one to share!
There’s no better time than fall to target educators, administrators, support staff and coaches with your marketing! It’s the beginning of the school year, with new hopes and promises, and everyone is eager to make a fresh start and learn new things. Make sure your work is one of those things – so teachers can start the school year with a clean slate and better health!
And you will have a Back-to-School Special as a foundational piece of your Seasonal Marketing System for the lifetime of your career!
Please share your Back-to-School Special in the Comments below.